Friday, January 18, 2013

Lost Race Results

I took Wednesday off because I just didn't feel like running.  I was worried that it might be an indication of burn out and/or just needing a break from running.  When I was training for the Philly Marathon, I got to a point where it felt more like work than fun (ironically, somewhere near the peak mileage of my program - go figure).  I am happy to report, however, that I felt like running last night - and did so.  I only did 4 easy miles though...  Maybe because easy miles are more fun?  Either way, because I raced on Saturday and did a hard workout on Monday, I figured the rest of the week should be easy anyway.  My only regret is that it was so much warmer on Wednesday.  Instead of running in Wednesday's 30 degree weather, I ended up running in 0 degrees on Thursday.  I was thinking it was going to be brutal, but turns out that I layered ok and was quite comfortable throughout.  It always amazes me, however, that no matter how cold it is outside, I always remove sweat soaked shirts afterwards...  Anyway, I'm now up to 14.25 miles this week, so I'm thinking that a run of 6-10 miles on Saturday will wrap up my week.  I'm trying to stay under 25 miles or so for now, because I think that my legs are at their breaking point for injury (although I think that the YakTrax caused much of my misery - more on that another time).

Rants and Rambles: One of the odd things that I like to do is to continuously review and look up race results.  I often find myself perusing the postings on the web, and analyzing them over and over again.  It must drive my wife crazy.  Well, I've been going crazy because the last 2 frozen foote race postings are unavailable!  The December race was posted on northernrunner.org, but the link has never worked right.  As for the January results - they are no where to be found.

This brings me to my rant.  Why is NorthernRunner so poorly kept?  The site is a great concept, and is wonderful when it's working right, but there are always incorrect/bad links, and any time I've tried to e-mail the webmaster for the site, the e-mail bounces back because his/her inbox is too full.  One of the Frozen Foote organizers told me that she was trying to contact them too in order to fix the bad link, but that she was not having any luck.  I've contemplated taking on the task of creating a new website to serve as northernrunner.org was intended to.  The other thing that always drives me crazy is when race organizers publicize a race like crazy, but after the event happens there is nothing more - not a word.  No press release, no results posted/published - nothing!  GRRR... ARGGG!  Don't they know that there are people like me out there who obsess about looking up race results, comparing our times against our running buddies and foes, and analyzing them for any signs of improvement?  Oh well.  I guess I'll have to obsess over other things for the time being...

On another note, in the not so distant past, I probably would have been reluctant to disclose my odd habits - like over analyzing race results.  However, the older I get, the more I acknowledge that if I'm thinking it, somebody else likely is too.  Is it you?

No comments:

Post a Comment