Monday, February 29, 2016

VCM Training Week 4, Day 1

Goal: Run for 45 Minutes in HR Z2

I started this run @ 5.0 Speed w/ a 2.0 incline.  Increased speed .1 for every .1 mile run.  I topped out at 5.8, then backed off to 5.7 @ approx 1.3 miles, and then to 5.6 at approx 3.1 miles.  Generally felt ok, a little sore from yesterday's strength workout (especially the hamstrings).

I have decided that I will try to run Mondays and Wednesdays at the lower end of Zone2.  As a compromise, I figured I'd try increasing the incline to 2.0 for the same days, both for a little variety, and to see if those paces match my outdoor paces more.  Also, because the mileage is increasing so much, I knew that this would cut down on total mileage a little bit to help make the increases more gradual.

Because of the incline, and the attempt to stay in the lower half of Z2, I ran at these slower speeds today.  I'm not sure if that's wise or not, but I've managed to convince myself that it's a smart move, at least for today.  I probably still should have taken it a little bit slower, just because I still popped above 156 several times throughout the run, even though I had really wanted to sit in the fat part of the lower half of zone2 (approx 150).  I may regret that tomorrow, when I'm trying to push the upper end of Z2.  We'll have to see how I feel about that at this time tomorrow.

On another note, not sure if I had my shoes too tight, or too lose tonight (or if the extra incline factored in), but I defnitely encountered some significant discomfort on the bottom of my right foot today.  It didn't quite feel the same as the metatarsarlgia like problems that I've experienced in the past, but it definitely was close enough to not rule it out as the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment