Monday, February 22, 2016

Week 3 of 16, Day 1: VCM Training

Goal: Run 30 minutes in either Z1 or Z2.

I started with the mentality that Mondays aren't supposed to be too hard in this program, and that I should save some for tomorrow.  So I decided to start @ the usual 5.0 speed with a 1.5 incline.  I increased speed by .1 for every .1 mile run; reaching 6.0 at 1 mile.  Because my HR will still in the lower half of Z2, I decided to keep increasing speed until my HR reached about the midway point of Zone 2.  I increased by .1 at 1.1 and 1.2; ending up at 6.2 for the remainder of the run.  I felt like I could still increase the speed, but I tried to remind myself that Tuesdays and Thursdays are hard days, not Mondays.  I also used the fact that I'm pretty sore from working out trigger points, and that I'm in new treadmill shoes today - to convince myself not to increase the speed any more.

New Shoes!  I've been using my Puma Faas, that I won back in Philadelphia during the 2011 Marathon, for the treadmill.  I know, a long time ago, but I've only ever really run with them on the treadmill.  Up until this year, that hasn't been a whole lot.  I decided to replace them this past weekend, as they are starting to wear unevenly and could be affecting my foot plant, strike, and release.  So I decided to continue with a minimalist shoe for the treadmill - I convinced myself that because the treadmill offers more cushion that I won't get as soft running with less cushion in my shoe - making myself less likely to injure when I get back on the roads.  I don't know if there is any truth to my logic, but I guess ultimately if I'm right then great.  If not, then I haven't really lost anything for trying it.  The shoes I ran in today are the Inov F-lite 235.  I found the soles to be harder than the Puma Faas, but the shape of the shoe seems to fit my foot better.  Because I only ran about 3 in them, I'll have to report back more after a more significant run.  In general, they didn't feel bad, but definitely felt thin.  Perhaps more thin than I'm ready for yet?  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment